Sunday, November 21, 2010

First Steps

Photo from Creative Commons

Recently I found myself in a strange spot.  My wife was already in the process of learning more and exploring her spiritual and life path.  I was still wondering, “How does mine unfold?”  She has been experiencing specific courses and exercises in which to dig deeper and go inside.  I am not in classes.  I do not have support of mentors, teachers, or peers with whom I can bounce things off of or get feedback from.  I am adrift on a raft with only a paddle and myself to guide my path.  
Where do I take my first step?  In which direction should that step be?  I stand with my foot raised wondering and pondering these thoughts.  I gently set my foot back beside my other one to figure out where this first step needs to go.  I listen to the wonderful ideas my partner brings home with her.  I enjoy discussing them, but feel alone as she retires to write a paper or post in a discussion forum. Again I set my foot beside my other foot and wait for that first step.  I watch her grow and learn and follow paths of many sorts, and still my feet stand side by side. 
Suddenly, it fills my heart like lightning fills the sky.  My first step need not be perfect or precise.  It just needs to be a step, a leaving of the spot I stand upon.  For you see as I take my step and learn something I didn't know before I quickly find something else for me to learn more.   My first step has now become two steps and I find several directions in which my steps can lead.  Soon I find myself walking and then running.  I wonder why that first step took me so long to achieve as now my steps are easy and come quite frequently.  I realize something new with each step that I take.  It is now a first step from the step I took before.  These steps are not any clearer then the first one I took, but now I know if I take a wrong step, I will only be learning more.  I do not hesitate with my steps anymore.  Yet, I appreciate how long that first step takes to hit the floor for so many.
Don't be afraid to take your first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment