Saturday, March 5, 2011

Caring Can Be Wasteful

Photo by Robert S. Donovan

Today my husband and I did some grocery shopping.  Our cashier was very sweet.  She wanted to make sure that our bags were strong enough to carry our items.  She began double bagging almost every bag.  She said, "I am a double bagger.  I hate having to chase my food and I figure other people feel the same way."

She was being caring towards her customers, but all I could think as she double bagged one after another was how damaging her kindness was to our Earth.  She had no thought to the excess plastic she was sending on its way.  She was only focused on human needs/desires.  Unfortunately, I was unable to think of a kind and loving response quickly enough as these thoughts ran through my head - so we came home with twice as much wasted plastic.  Of course, we can recycle those, but how many of her other customer's will just toss those bags right into the trash?

I appreciated her kindness.  I just want kindness to All and not just humankind.

No comments:

Post a Comment